Tuesday, June 29, 2010

There are three good reasons to be a teacher - June, July, and August :)

A good teacher is a master of simplification and an enemy of simplism. ~Louis A. Berman

I was thinking about teachers the other day and I realized I have had only a few great teachers who have left their mark on me. Since I have always been a ‘problem’ student, the single qualification for this role was the ability to grab my attention and get me interested enough to learn.

No matter what I may say about my mother, one of her greatest accomplishments is that of being a teacher. My mom has always had an amazing way about her to make people sit up and pay attention. As the fresh batches of students pile in each new academic year, anticipating the challenges ahead in finding something novel for every student always puts a smile on her face.

More than thirty years of being a teacher couldn’t have been easy or fun. However, if you asked her, she would say teaching scores of children the lofty principles of math and science, were the best days of her life. And they ain’t over yet. To my mother, teaching is a gift and an addiction. It gives meaning to her life and defines her. She would go into her grave, happily teaching.

She is one of those few, rare people to whom teaching isn’t a job but a vocation. If you had spoken to any of her students while they were in her class, they would tell you she was the most horrible teacher on the planet who lived to torture her students. Talk to them ten years later and she’s one of the few teachers they remember and are eternally grateful for.

A cross-eyed teacher can keep twice the number of children in order than any other, because the pupils do not know who she's looking at - Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment